2012年3月5日星期一

Why Men Like Boats

I learned to sail when I was eight. Following my father's love for all types of watercraft, I learned about fishing boats,Ed Hardy Caps Buy On Sale and canadagooseparka with high quality. sailboats, cruisers, even houseboats. I never thought of myself as a 'girl' sailor. I was captain, first mate, cabin boy, deck hand and crew. I was also cook for a 12-day excursion along the Intracoastal Waterway,Purchase Swiss Brands backpackfactory and enjoy luxury feeling. but that episode is better left in the archives.
Women are great and able sailors. From the famous female pirate Madame Ching of China who was arguably the most successful pirate of the 19th century to Naomi James who circumnavigated the globe -- solo -- in 1978, women have been conquering the seas with great skill and impressive stats. And yet, I've noticed an embarrassing and worrisome trend among fellow boating enthusiasts. Once on board, inequality billows forth like the heavy exhaust from a two-stroke.
Last month, we joined friends for a day cruise on their lovely 35-foot cabin cruiser. We crossed the Bay and explored quiet coves and tranquil rivers, motoring without event. At the day's end, we stopped to refuel before returning home.High-End canadagoosejackets at Convenient Locations . Just as we tied up, a very large boat, a sport yacht, pulled alongside the dock.
"That boat will take forever to fill," the gas attendant said, pointing. "Do you mind if I get him started first?"
We didn't mind. We refilled our glasses and opened a box of Wheat Thins. I stretched my legs out in the sun, munched a cracker and scrutinized the luxurious multi-cabin craft at our bow.
"That's a beautiful boat," my husband said in the worrisome whisper that means he's interested in something he cannot have or do.
Our host agreed. "It's a yacht," he said, sitting next to me.
"What's the difference between a cruiser and a yacht?"
"Cabin cruiser usually refers to a boat less than forty feet in length. Anything bigger than that is termed a yacht. Then there's the mega yacht, and the super yacht."
We lowered our voices as a middle aged woman emerged from inside the galley carrying an armload of clothes or jackets or blankets, folded neatly.High quality replica lancelhandbags2012 of well known brands .
"Honey!" A voice pierced the air.Thirty pages into the book diorhandbags has not done anything recently. It came from aloft, two levels above the woman with the clothes. We all looked to the flying bridge where the Captain was perched in a custom curved chair, wearing dark sunglasses and a white hat. He tilted his head toward the window and called again. "Honey! Can you come topside and secure another line?"

没有评论:

发表评论